Job Title: Development Manager
Reporting to: Head of Software Development
Direct Reports: Yes
Location: Dragon Court, London
As a Development Manager you will be responsible for technical leadership and line management responsibility for Back-end Leads and Principal Engineers. You will help us drive our culture of ownership and accountability, to help develop our team technically and professionally. You will also be responsible for holding regular themed performance reviews, managing individuals and developing talent within your team.
Being a strong team leader with deep technical knowledge, you will be operationalising principles and standards in backend development, and a culture of accountability to using them. You will be an excellent communicator with the ability to lead and inspire your team and to manage external stakeholders.
What success will look like in 1 year
- Customers find better jobs or candidates easily and with less friction.
- We will have a high quality, maintainable technical platform which takes advantage of the latest in technology.
- You will lead a team of engaged Back-end Team Leads with a clear vision for back-end development at Reed Online
- You will mentor our Technical Leads to deliver technical excellence and our Engineers to be successful
- You will be driving continuous improvement into our processes and results
- Create career paths through performance feedback, goals, and mentoring
- Work closely with other technical leaders in the department to have an infrastructure that best supports our product development
- Recruit, motivate, and retain the best talent possible
- You will articulate ideas in ways that resonate with both Engineers and non-technical people
- You will focus on areas such as scalability, performance and high availability
- Implement and evaluate technical success metrics
Key Measures and Targets
- Product effectiveness in delivering against key performance indicators
- Customer value - % roles filled, % of jobs found, NPS
- Test coverage and technical debt measures
- On-time delivery against the product roadmap (# of commitments met)
- Co-Member engagement survey and co-member turnover
- Objectives met & performance
Capabilities and Competencies
- Technologically diverse background and ability to learn new things quickly
- Strong engineering leadership skills
- Experience of mentoring managers, attracting and retaining staff, developing professional talent and motivating people to excel.
- Able to think independently and prioritize accordingly
- Excited by tough technical challenges
- Analytical, curious, goal-oriented.
- A problem solver who is proactive and not satisfied until effective solutions are found
- Shows a desire to learn and self-improve
- Has an Agile approach to software delivery
- Excellent communication and stakeholder management skills
- Experience working on and optimizing high transactional web applications
- Expert knowledge of C#, ASP.NET MVC, HTML5/CSS and T-SQL, ORM (Preferably nHibernate), source control (Preferably Git)
- Expert knowledge of software architecture, design patterns and standards.
- In depth knowledge of agile as well as scrum roles and methodology.
- Best practices in testing - Unit Testing (TDD, BDD etc)
- Understand different caching strategies
- Experience with major website rebuilds or re-platform projects
- Understand Inversion of control and how to use dependency injection
- Experience with cloud administration & APIs (AWS, Google Cloud Platform)
- Exposure to NoSQL databases: AWS DynamoDB, Google BigQuery and redis
- Exposure to continuous development such as continuous integration, continuous delivery, continuous testing and deployment
Join REED - Our Values, Your Values; Our Future, Your Future
Proud winners of:
- #1 Recruitment Agency Glassdoor Best Places To Work 2018
- Glassdoor Top CEOs 2019
- The JobCrowd Top Companies For Graduates To Work For 2018/19
All job offers are subject to satisfactory references and compliance with vetting requirements applicable to the job role. REED is an equal opportunities employer. We aim to ensure that no candidate or employee receives less favourable treatment on the grounds of gender, race, disability, sexual orientation, religion or belief, age, gender identity, marital or civil partnership status, pregnancy or maternity. We are a MINDFUL EMPLOYER and offer a guaranteed interview scheme for disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria.
Bank or payment details should not be provided when applying for a job. reed.co.uk is not responsible for any external website content. All applications should be made via the 'Apply now' button.