- Office Location: Dragon Court, 27-29 Macklin Street, London WC2B 5LX
- Office Name: Reed Online
- Sector: Software Engineering
- Salary: £80000 - £90000
- Job Type: Permanent
- Role Type: Full-time
- Job Ref: 439339
Reed Online are looking for a Development Manager to join their expanding team based in Holborn, Central London.
A pioneer with deep technical knowledge, you will be an expert at developing and maintaining core software components, services and platforms to support the needs of the business. You will be an excellent communicator with the ability to lead and inspire internal team(s) and to manage external stakeholders.
As a Software Development Manager you will be guiding and leading technology selections and engineering practices with peers across the technology group. Your day to day work will be as a scrum team member, however you will also be researching the ever changing technology landscape and providing team lead management for a number of engineers to continually grow our internal talent. Working alongside our principal engineers and technical architects you will help to create our application architecture and development standards across teams and ensure a high quality and consistent output from your team. You will also be the main technical point of contact for a number of important integrations to external partners and customers and be responsible for the timely and effective delivery of these to market.
Whilst our software development managers will likely have mastered in Back End, Front End or Data Engineering, all our software development managers are capable of facilitating technical discussions and decisions across the entire tech stack. Our Software development managers and our principals are peers in architectural principles and application design.
What success will look like in 1 year
- Customers find better jobs or candidates easily and with less friction.
- We will have a high quality, maintainable technical platform which takes advantage of the latest in technology.
- You will be an established thought leader in the engineering department
- You will be part of a team (and providing technical guidance & support for some of them) of engaged back end developers with a clear vision for back end and full-stack development at Reed Online
- Be a real catalyst of change, driving continuous improvement in our Software Engineering capabilities across the wider Technology department.
- Be a role model of calm, logical and constructive solution design and implementation.
- Apply software design principles, including coupling/cohesion, decomposition/modularity, encapsulation/information hiding, and separation of interface and implementation, and instill these practices in all work performed by the team
- Develop scalable, clean, enterprise systems in C# .NET using SOLID principles
- Work alongside our data science, architect and product teams
- Write and build valuable documentation and acting as an exemplar of best practice
- You will be driving continuous improvement into our processes and results
- Work closely with other technical leaders in the department to have an infrastructure that best supports our product development
- You will articulate ideas in ways that resonate with both Engineers and non-technical people
- You will focus on areas such as scalability, performance and high availability
Capabilities and Competencies
- Loves trying and working with new technology
- Shows a desire to learn and self-improve
- Enjoys problem solving
- Has an Agile approach to software delivery
- Enjoys working as part of a successful team
- Experience leading a team delivering high transactional web applications
- A leader, driving continuous improvement within and outside of your team
- Excellent personal skills to bring the best out of others and to help bring complex technical discussions to a successful outcome
- Experience of distributed systems design and development
- Able to analyse current processes, identify and implement opportunities to optimise processes; leads and develops a team of experts to deliver service improvements.
- Experience with event driven streaming architecture, data streams and real time data streaming technologies like Apache Kafka
- Controls and manages service availability to meet the needs of the business in a cost effective manner, including managing the capability, functionality and sustainability of services.
- Able to design, review and quality assure solutions and services with security controls embedded, specifically engineered as mitigation against security threats as core part of the solutions and services.
- Delivers artifacts that set standards for engineering excellence from designs to algorithms to implementations.
- Expert knowledge of software architecture, design patterns and standards.
- Solid experience in implementing functionally correct, secure, robust and fault tolerant applications
- Define, promote and gain agreement for coding conventions, test approaches, deployment strategies and development guidelines, etc; set an example for the team by following agreed standards
- Great design and problem solving skills, with demonstrable experience in building simple implementations to complex problems
- In depth knowledge of agile as well as scrum roles and methodology
- Secure coding practices
- Experience practicing continuous integration and knowledge/experience of continuous delivery and or continuous deployment.
- Unit Testing (TDD, BDD etc)
- Understand different caching strategies
- Understand Inversion of control and how to use dependency injection
- Experience of working with and deploying to cloud infrastructure
- Experience working on and optimizing high transactional web applications
- Experience with major website rebuilds or re-platform projects
Join REED – Improving Lives Through Work
Proud winners of:
- #1 Recruitment Agency – Glassdoor Best Places To Work 2019 & 2020
- Glassdoor Top CEOs 2019
- The JobCrowd Top Companies For Graduates To Work For 2018/19
Our Values, Your Values; Our Future, Your Future
All job offers are subject to satisfactory references and compliance with vetting requirements applicable to the job role. REED is an equal opportunities employer. We aim to ensure that no candidate or employee receives less favourable treatment on the grounds of gender, race, disability, sexual orientation, religion or belief, age, gender identity, marital or civil partnership status, pregnancy or maternity. We are a MINDFUL EMPLOYER and offer a guaranteed interview scheme for disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria.