- Office Location: Dragon Court, 27-29 Macklin Street, Covent Garden London, WC2B 5LX
- Office Name: Reed Online, Dragon Court
- Sector: Software Engineering & Development
- Salary: £80000 - £85000
- Job Type: Permanent
- Role Type: Full-time
- Job Ref: 424108
Software Development Manager
Reed Online are looking for a Software Development Manager to lead their existing team, based in Holborn, Central London.
A leader with deep technical knowledge, you will be an expert at developing and maintaining ASP.net applications written in C# using ElasticSearch as datastore. You will be an excellent communicator with the ability to lead and inspire your team and to manage external stakeholders.
As a Software Development Manager you will be guiding and leading technology selections and engineering practices with peers across the technology group. Your day to day work will be as a scrum team member. You will also be researching the ever changing technology landscape and providing line management for a number of engineers to continually grow our internal talent. Working alongside our principal engineers and technical architects you will help to create our application architecture and development standards across teams and ensure a high quality and consistent output from your team.
Whilst our software development managers will likely have mastered in Back End, Front End or Data Engineering, all our software development managers are capable of facilitating technical discussions and decisions across the entire tech stack. Our Software development managers and our principals are peers in architectural principles and application design.
What success will look like in 1 year
- Customers find better jobs or candidates easily and with less friction.
- We will have a high quality, maintainable technical platform which takes advantage of the latest in technology.
- You will be part of a team (and providing structured mentoring & support for some of them) of engaged back end developers with a clear vision for back end and full-stack development at Reed Online
- Be involved in the full development lifecycle from inception through implementation, continuous enhancement and eventually decommissioning, when required
- Develop scalable, clean, enterprise systems in C# .NET using SOLID principles on ELK stack.
- Improve and maintain our codebase
- Work alongside our data science, architect and product teams
Key Measures and Targets
- Product effectiveness in delivering against key performance indicators
- Customer value – % roles filled, % of jobs found, NPS
- Test coverage and technical debt measures
- On-time delivery against the product roadmap (# of commitments met)
- Co-member engagement survey and co-member turnover
- Objectives met & performance
Capabilities and Competencies
- Loves trying and working with new technology
- Shows a desire to learn and self-improve
- Enjoys problem solving
- Has an Agile approach to software delivery
- Enjoys working as part of a successful team
- Experience leading a team delivering high transactional web applications
- Line management experience
- Excellent communication and stakeholder management skills
- Able to analyse current processes, identify and implement opportunities to optimise processes; leads and develops a team of experts to deliver service improvements.
- Experience with Elasticsearch Painless scripting language.
- Experience with Elastic Stack clusters in elastic scaling cloud environments
- Experience with Elastic Stack cluster architecture, design and deployment.
- Proven experience upgrading the Elastic Stack from one major version to another.
- Experience with event driven streaming architecture, data streams and real time data streaming technologies like Apache Kafka
- Experience of distributed systems design and development
- Controls and manages service availability to meet the needs of the business in a cost effective manner, including managing the capability, functionality and sustainability of services.
- Able to design, review and quality assure solutions and services with security controls embedded, specifically engineered as mitigation against security threats as core part of the solutions and services.
- Delivers artifacts that set standards for engineering excellence from designs to algorithms to implementations.
- Expert knowledge of software architecture, design patterns and standards.
- Solid experience in implementing functionally correct, secure, robust and fault tolerant applications
- Define, promote and gain agreement for coding conventions, test approaches, deployment strategies and development guidelines, etc; set an example for the team by following agreed standards
- Great design and problem solving skills, with demonstrable experience in building simple implementations to complex problems
- In depth knowledge of agile as well as scrum roles and methodology
- Secure coding practices
- Experience practicing continuous integration and knowledge/experience of continuous delivery and or continuous deployment.
- Unit Testing (TDD, BDD etc)
- Understand different caching strategies
- Understand Inversion of control and how to use dependency injection
- Experience of working with and deploying to cloud infrastructure
Join REED – Improving Lives Through Work
Proud winners of:
- #1 Recruitment Agency – Glassdoor Best Places To Work 2019 & 2020
- Glassdoor Top CEOs 2019
- The JobCrowd Top Companies For Graduates To Work For 2018/19
Our Values, Your Values; Our Future, Your Future
All job offers are subject to satisfactory references and compliance with vetting requirements applicable to the job role. REED is an equal opportunities employer. We aim to ensure that no candidate or employee receives less favourable treatment on the grounds of gender, race, disability, sexual orientation, religion or belief, age, gender identity, marital or civil partnership status, pregnancy or maternity. We are a MINDFUL EMPLOYER and offer a guaranteed interview scheme for disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria.